Submissions for the next Secret Agent contest will open at 12:00 NOON EDT Monday, November 2. You send in the first 250 words of your completed manuscript, which are posted anonymously - an agent reads and comments, and asks for partials of the top entries. And you may just end up with an agent.
This month's contest will include the following genres:
* Women's fiction (including romance)
* Mysteries and thrillers/suspense
* Young Adult
Note: This contest will likely fill up quickly, so you need to have your entry ready to go at 11.59 am, with your fingers poised over the Send button. Or you can have a friend send it in for you - perfectly legal.
Here, lifted from SA's website, are guidelines:
* Early submissions WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
* Submissions are for those with COMPLETED MANUSCRIPTS. If you wouldn't want an agent to read the entire thing, DON'T SEND IT. If an "entire thing" doesn't exist, you shouldn't even be reading these rules.
* Only ONE ENTRY per person per contest. If you send more than one, your subsequent entry(ies) will be deleted.
* Submissions are for THE FIRST 250 WORDS of your manuscript. Please do not stop in the middle of a
*List your name (which isn't published), title, and genre - and no, those don't count in your word count), then the excerpt. No "chapter one," chapter titles, etc. You will receive a confirmation email with your post number.
* Submissions go to facelesswords(at)gmail.com.
Note: These contests close when 50 submissions are received, or in 24 hours, whichever comes first. This one closed in about 5 minutes, about what I expected (YA and fantasy are very popular categories). The entries will start posting soon - wander by and read them and offer feedback. And yep, I talked another friend into entering.